I am a Pink Floyd, Beatles, Stones, The Who, Black Crowes, Morcheeba, Massive Attack, Jose Carreras, Tchaikovsky kinda girl…with a bit of Eminem thrown in…so I do have diverse taste in music. I am now listening to PJ almost exclusively…well, they do have a lot of songs for me to get to know! I stumbled across an old 1992 video of PJ at the Pinkpop Festival. I still have no idea how I came to be watching it; I usually watched comedy on YouTube and didn’t even know I knew the song Black. Yet, here I was entranced by a truly amazing performance of a song I actually had heard many years ago but had no idea who sang it. I think, had I seen this back in 1992, I may still have just clicked “next’ and ignored it…so why did it spark so much obsession?
Some may say it’s the Eddie Vedder crush, but I didn’t go wild when I was young and this week is the first time I have listened to his solo stuff, so I don’t think so. I do think I am smitten with his voice…I recognize it instantly now…and do now enjoy his solo stuff and really appreciate how different it is from most PJ songs. So what else can it be? Yes, they are an amazing band together…their videos through the years show how great they are performing live. There is a certain electricity even through the screen that is captivating. Yes, I am also enjoying watching how the band evolved through time, and how their music, style and attitude had changed in certain ways. But I like other bands this way too, although I am no where near as crazy about them.
My husband had been quietly supportive of my new obsession and has bought me a couple of CD’s. He used to listen to them years ago, but he does not have the same desire to play PJ music daily; I tend to save it for driving in the car alone now.
There was a moment of clarity a couple of weeks ago when, on a date night with hubby, I got a little tipsy and decided to announce that I was going to the PJ 20th Anniverary Festival…WHEREVER it is being held. He replied, “doubtful” and I then let loose with “Oh, I”m going…I hope you can too, but I’m going!”
“Alone?”
“If I have to”
“What on earth has got into you?”
“I don’t know, but I am sure as hell not missing this…I have never seen them in concert and I am not missing this chance!”
And then it happened….my husband revealed the reason for my obsession…”I think you are just trying to relive your lost youth!”
“I didn’t like them when I was young!” I barked.
“That’s just it….your LOST youth!”
Bother!…I turn 40 and get obsessed because I DIDN’T listen to PJ when I was young….

Um, yes yes and yes.
ReplyDeleteBelieve it or not, my "true" obsession with PJ didn't begin until 2009. TRULY! There is just something about them that speaks to us fans, that for the "others" seems beyond comprehension.
The lyrics, the stories, the evolution as musicians and men, the good and the bad times, the fans, the fun, the tears, the anger, the rally around causes....
It(whatever IT is) truly transcends music. It is something that gets in your blood, and once it is there, it feeds you and don't bother, because you can't explain It to anyone that doesn't "get It".
Maybe it is our age (gah), and attempting to relive our youth or go back to capture youth that was lost - but I don't know. I hope not. I don't want to be seen as one of those middle aged ladies trying too hard to still be "young". That sounds too pathetic for me to accept (hehehe)!
Whatever it is, we've both been bitten and I, for one, know that I have no complaints.
By the way, you won't be going alone the the BASH. I'll be there right by your side!!! :)
Hi Shannon,
ReplyDeleteI'm just going to 'go' with it and enjoy my passion. And you're right...it has nothing to do with age...:)