Sunday, February 27, 2011

Buying a New Cell Phone

Sometimes ordinary events read more like a work of fiction.  Today could have been one of those days.  It began as a regular Sunday with everyone finally feeling better, (school vacation.....everyone had fevers!) and chores were being completed in the usual begrudged fashion.

I planned on a few trips out to local shops for mundane articles and put off the final trip...getting my new phone..until last, because I hate going into those shops.  You know, the shops that sell you all the things you really don't need but buy anyway because you think you need it by the time the sales person is done with you.

I like to be on my toes in those places...prepared to stand firm against the barrage of enticements, ignoring the inner voice of non-reason telling me to, "Just go for it!"  Today was not going to be that day.

On my way to the phone store, I had to make a stop at the bank and the bookstore...harmless right?  Wrong!  The bank parking lot had the pothole from hell and after pulling out and making a quick right into the bookstore parking lot, I stood miserably watching my drivers-side front tire deflate before my eyes...literally hissing with glee at my horror.

Normally it would be a no brainer; call my hubby and have him sort it out.  Today if you remember, I was on my way to the phone store, and it wasn't because I wanted the latest gadget!  My phone was on the fritz and I was stuck in limbo!

Finally, after a few wiggles, taps, and eventually a hard slam on the key pad, I managed to call home.  Long story short...man came out...changed tire for the silly little donut one (why do you do that in America???) and I was good to go.  I also realized that I could have done it myself....duh!

So, fully flustered and over an hour late for dinner (remember it was back to school night),   I pulled in at the phone store and completely screwed up in the first five seconds.

How the hell was I supposed to know I had to sign in with my phone details at the computer screen BEFORE being seen by the sales rep?  Someone pointed this out to me with such an air of, "You really have no clue do you dear!" that frazzled little me almost lost it when I had no idea what my number was and, therefore,  could not be helped.  No computer entry...no help!

Finally I managed to drag the number out of my grey matter and I was then next in line to be helped.  I am not old, but this place was making me feel like I had time-traveled to the next century!

Sales rep time and I explained my phone wasn't working and asked what my plan offered.  Not much info later, I find myself practically begging the guy to sell me a phone...he was more interested in schmoozing with the young guy being helped by the other sales rep...I was too old, too female/uncool, and WAY too 'not worth the effort' for this guy!  Macho banter abound....I was on my own.

Finally I announced in my best British accent..."What about showing me some of my options...I may get more than just the same phone." (aside: "Which doesn't work anyway.")      

The sales rep finally sprung into action and asked me what I would be using the phone for.

"CALLING PEOPLE."

I also added that I do take photos and email/FB on my current phone.  I was led to the iPhones.

"How much?"

"More than you can afford, are prepared to pay, ever wanted to spend on a mere phone." or something to that effect.

"I'll take it."

"You'll need a care charger, screen cover, and case."

"Uh, okay.  Can I have that pretty blue one?"

"Mumble..."

So then we are back at the desk.  I am buying the one phone I can't type on...it took me six tries to enter my email address and password to set it up.  I then discovered that the store does not transfer data, but does give out lovely photocopies of the instructions for doing it...for FREE!  :)

Arriving home, hubby had NOT cooked dinner and the boys were starving.  I was shell shocked, and hubby's friend was over and instantly went through the list of all the things I SHOULD have got from the store.  Hubby was too surprised I bought the phone to comment!

  • Fifty dollar rebate hubby's friend got yesterday
  • They should have transferred my contacts
  • They should have set up my email
  • They should have spent time teaching me how to use my new phone.
I learned many things today:

  • Watch out for pot-holes
  • When you need it most, your phone won't work
  • I can probably change a tire myself
  • I am a complete sucker when I am frazzled
  • Service 'aint like it used to be
  • I have NO idea how to use my new phone!


4 comments:

  1. Oh my! What a day. You are not kidding about the work of fiction. Sounds like a Seinfeld episode. Oh, and I hate the phone stores too. If at all possible, I do everything online. Hope your Monday was better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still can't use the bloody thing...the email wan't uploaded properly and I can't type on the keypad..and I have small fingers!!! Today was okay...work but everyone felt a lot better..phew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sweets. I hope and pray all is well with you. If you need someone to talk to, I am always here. Your comment the other day was much appreciated and brought me to tears. Thank you for being such a good friend. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have an amazing story on all your blogs. I decided to award you the Powerful Woman Writer Award.
    Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
    ~Deirdra

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to let me know what you think about my musings, constructive criticism and alternative viewpoints welcome. I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...